Award total of $97,000 will support New Bedford workforce development and literacy programming.
NEW BEDFORD, MA – The SouthCoast Community Foundation announced today $97,000 in grants from the Polaroid Fund to nine local nonprofits that seek to enhance the skills and education of the New Bedford workforce. The award recipients include The Arc of Bristol County, Community Economic Development Center of SE MA, Junior Achievement of Southern Massachusetts, Inc., Marion Institute, New Bedford Art Museum/ArtWorks!, Portuguese United for Education d/b/a/ Discovery Language Academy, School on Wheels, United Interfaith Action of SE Massachusetts, and YWCA of Southeastern MA.
“Supporting nonprofits that are helping New Bedford’s newest community members build the skills necessary to attain their educational and employment goals is an honor,” said SouthCoast Community Foundation President John Vasconcellos. “Every year, we are inspired by the tenacity and passion of all involved, whether it be the dedicated instructors or residents committed to a better future.”
The grantee awards and their programs include:
- The Arc of Bristol County – received $7,000 for its Special Educational Empowerment Program.
- Community Economic Development Center of SE MA – received $15,000 for virtual and in-person English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and summer tech literacy.
- Junior Achievement of Southern Massachusetts, Inc. – received $8,000 for their Bilingual JA Company Program.
- Marion Institute – received $13,500 for promoting health equity for Adult Basic Education (ABE) and ESOL families.
- New Bedford Art Museum/ArtWorks! – received $15,000 for their Learning Studio: Early Literacy Through the Arts.
- Portuguese United for Education d/b/a/ Discovery Language Academy – received $6,000 for their Adult English Language Program with family support.
- School on Wheels – received $7,500 for students impacted by homelessness & COVID-19.
- United Interfaith Action of SE Massachusetts – received $15,000 for vocational education equity and access.
- YWCA of Southeastern MA – received $10,000 for residential services.
For more than a decade, the SouthCoast Community Foundation has managed the New Bedford based grant program of the Polaroid Fund. The SouthCoast Community Foundation is a public charity serving thousands of people throughout Southeastern Massachusetts who share a common goal of improving the quality of life through philanthropy. Since 1995, the Community Foundation has distributed over $50 million from approximately 200 funds to humanitarian, educational, and cultural organizations in the region. For more information, visit www.southcoastcf.org.