Description of Position:
The Accounting Clerk, a full-time, exempt employee of the Foundation, will prepare various financial reconciliations, maintain Foundation’s database, and participate in various ad hoc projects. This position is a key liaison to the finance and development areas of the Foundation. This position reports to, and works closely with, the Director of Finance and Administration, and provides support to the Development Manager.
Over the past few years, the Foundation has embraced the challenge of racial and social inequities that remain a significant obstacle to the health, safety, happiness, and livelihood of the communities it serves. This is reflected in the adoption of a new strategic plan, commitment to new staffing and leadership, significant investment in improved systems and technology, and increase in community engagement and participation. The Foundation’s role as a funder, convener, and community leader has been elevated over the past several months during the current COVID-19 health and economic emergency, especially for those vulnerable communities who have been disproportionately impacted by the pandemic.
The Foundation manages more than 200 funds ranging in size from $10,000 to nearly $9M with total assets of more than $40M, and awards grants and scholarships, in a typical year, of nearly $3.5M. These funds include donor-advised, scholarships, field of interest, fiscal sponsorship, and agency endowments.
In 2020, the Foundation raised more than $6M in response to COVID-19, which significantly increased this effort.
Founded in 1995, the Foundation proudly serves 41 cities and towns throughout southeastern Massachusetts with a strong focus on New Bedford and Fall River.
- Record all gifts; deposits checks in bank account, review investment account activity.
- Process accounts payable on a weekly.
- Reconciles all investment accounts and the foundation bank accounts and allocates investment income and fees to the individual foundation funds.
- Posts transactions and journal entries to the general ledger.
- Maintains orderly files of account reconciliations, and other accounting documents and records.
- Reconciles the sub-ledgers of Accounts Payable, Gift, Grant modules to the general ledger.
- Ongoing database monitoring ensuring accurate detail in the General Ledger and sub-ledger modules.
- Assists in preparation of financial reports for management, donors, and board as needed.
- Assists external auditors during annual financial audit and preparation of tax returns.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Represents the Foundation appropriately.
- Maintain confidentiality of Foundation affairs in communications, both written and oral.
- Occasional attendance at Foundation events outside work hours.
- Participate in relevant professional associations.
- Support other Community Foundation staff as necessary.
Education and Experience:
- Experience in customer services.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting and/or finance.
- Nonprofit and/or philanthropic experience preferred.
- Experience with the Microsoft Office Suite as well as the ability to comprehend the Foundation’s software package and experience with data management.
- Experience in working with boards and committees in nonprofit organizations.
- Demonstrable professional maturity is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to manage many deadlines, projects, and relationships.
- Exceptional abilities in oral communication, presentations, and persuasive writing.
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to manage projects and workflow, using time and resources effectively.
- Understands the importance of and adheres to very high standards of service and integrity.
- Able to exercise discretion with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- A good sense of humor and a strong work ethic.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary range: $35,000 to $40,000 depending on experience. Compensation includes a competitive base salary and an excellent health, retirement savings, benefits package.
Working Conditions: Normal office conditions, including support for remote work access.
Application Process: Please email your cover letter, including salary requirement, and resume to email@example.com. We are only considering applications that are submitted through email. Please name your documents as follows: LAST NAME – RESUME and LAST NAME – COVER LETTER.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
The SouthCoast Community Foundation is committed to the principles and practices of equal employment opportunity and to compliance with all federal, state, and local laws concerning employment discrimination, including the Americans with Disabilities Act. To this end, the Foundation ensures equal opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, nation origin or ancestry, citizenship, lawful alien status, physical, mental, and medical disability, veteran status or liability for service in the United States Armed Forces.